The Art and Science of Everything

Formerly thoughts on gender and technology, I'm expanding this as a place to just generally geek out on gender, technology, design, cognition, perception, and culture. The title should not be considered hubris, but instead enthusiasm.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

I just found out about an amazing conference Friday and Saturday at Stanford looking at gender in science and technology.

In particular, there is a Saturday session featuring designers from Volvo:
"If You Meet the Expectations of Women, You Exceed the Expectations of Men: How
Volvo Cars took Women Customers into Consideration and Made World Headlines with the YCC Concept Car" which I hope would connect diversity to design. Immediately following, there is a more theoretical session by Lucy Suchman titled "Agency in Technology Design: Feminist Reconfigurations." Lucy was a researcher at parc in computer supported cooperative work for many years.

I'm going to attend as much of Saturday as I can before I have to leave for an flight to Berlin halfway through the Suchman talk. And it almost makes me cry that I can't stay for the whole thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home