The Art and Science of Everything

Formerly thoughts on gender and technology, I'm expanding this as a place to just generally geek out on gender, technology, design, cognition, perception, and culture. The title should not be considered hubris, but instead enthusiasm.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Jane Margolis and Allan Fisher are talking about their research, documented in "Unlocking the Clubhouse: Women in Computing," at Google right now. This is my fifth time seeing them talk, I've read the book, and it inspired my thesis.

Sitting here three years after first reading the manuscript, passed on to me by Eric Roberts, who had it passed on to him by John Hennessey, I'm making some connections that I hadn't thought of before. I'm not sure they're at all worth their salt.

But one of the quotes Jane reads is about the girl describing the expressionless faces of so many people in front of the computer for hours and hours -- feeling like she could never be like that. The implication is this feeling is more frequently expressed by women, though they acknowledge more men than they expected expressed dissatisfaction with such getting in the zone. What I'm wondering is whether that expressionlessness is related to "flow". I wonder if flow, like autism, can be a gender related phenomenon. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges because while flow and autism are both based on observable behavior, autism has a bit more medical research behind it. But is there a gender correlation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home