The Art and Science of Everything

Formerly thoughts on gender and technology, I'm expanding this as a place to just generally geek out on gender, technology, design, cognition, perception, and culture. The title should not be considered hubris, but instead enthusiasm.

Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Gender associations and social software

I recently saw a comment on myths about blogging, one of which said something to the effect of:
"Blogging is only done by teenage girls"

At first I thought to myself "what makes that myth negative?" then realizing that teenage girls are a symbol for insipidity in our culture. Then I counterargued with myself, noting that I'm just as disparaging, if not moreso, about teenage boys and their video games. So maybe it's not so much something about one gender's adolescence being maligned over another's, but I think there is something to the fact that the technologies that embodies these stereotypically maligned behaviors might *not* be evenly disparaged.

There's a lot more fervor behind the development of video games and the component technologies and algorithms that propel their progress than there seems to be around blogging and communication software. Maybe there's just not as many obvious places to take "social software" -- but somehow, I find it hard to believe.

I realize there are bunch of counters to this musing because it is just that -- observationally informed musing. But it is rooted in something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home